.

Saturday 6 December 2014

CLASSIFICATION OF PROTEINS ACCORDING TO THEIR STRUCTURE

18:26 - 23 comments

Proteins
The majority of proteins are compact, highly convoluted molecules with the position of each atom relative to the others determined with great precision. To describe the structure of a protein in an organism, it is necessary to specify the three-dimensional shape that the polypeptide chain assumes. Every protein has particular properties which are dictated by the number and the particular succession of amino acids in a molecule. There are basically three levels of structural organization in proteins.

  • Primary Structure
  • Secondary Structure
  • Tertiary Structure


Some proteins also possess a fourth structure called Quaternary structure.  

Primary structure:

Primary Structure of Proteins

The sequence of the amino acids combined in a peptide chain is referred to as the primary structure. Peptide bond held together the primary structure which is made during the course of protein biosynthesis. F. Sanger was the first researcher who determined the arrangement of amino acids in a protein atom. Following ten years of cautious work, he finished up, that insulin is made of 51 amino acids in two chains. One chain had 21 amino acids and the second had 30 amino acids in two alpha and two beta chains. Every alpha chain contains 141 amino acids, while every beta chain contains 146 amino acids.


Insulin Structure


There are more than of 10,000 proteins in the human body which are made up of particular sequence of 20 kinds of amino acids. This arrangement depends on the sequence of nucleotides in the DNA. The sequence of amino acids in a protein particle is highly definite for its proper working. On the off chance that any amino acid is not in its typical place, the protein does not carry on its ordinary function. In this case, the sickle cell hemoglobin is the best example. Only one amino acid in every beta chain out of the 574 amino acids don't take up the ordinary place in the proteins (this specific amino acid is displaced by some other amino acid), and the hemoglobin fails to carry sufficient oxygen, thus prompting demise of the patient.

Secondary structure:


Secondary Structure

The secondary structure of protein is a regular coiling or zigzagging of polypeptide chains produced by hydrogen bonding between NH and C=O groups of amino acids near each other in the chains. They typically curl into a helix, or into some other consistent setup. One of the normal secondary structures is the a-helix. It has one winding arrangement of the basic polypeptide chain. The a-helix is an extremely uniform geometric structure with 3.6 amino acids in each one turn of the helix. The helical structure is maintained by the hydrogen bonds between amino acid atoms in consecutive turns of the winding. B-pleated sheet is structured by folding over of the polypeptide.


B-pleated sheet

Tertiary structure:
Tertiary Structure
The three dimensional twisting and folding of the polypeptide chain results in the tertiary structure of proteins. Polypeptide chain twists and folds upon itself shaping a globular shape. The proteins' tertiary conformity is held by three kinds of bonds, i.e. Hydrogen, ionic and disulfide (-S-S-). In the aqueous environment, the steadiest tertiary conformity is that in which hydrophobic amino acids are covered inside while the hydrophilic amino acids are on the surface of the atom.

Quaternary structure:
Quaternary Structure
In complex proteins, polypeptide tertiary sequences are coiled in multi-complex subunits. Quaternary proteins are made up of the arrangement of two or more tertiary chains and are held together by hydrophobic interactions, ionic and hydrogen bonds. Hemoglobin, the oxygen transport protein has such a structure.
Hemoglobin Molecule


Classification of proteins:

Due to the diversity and complexity in proteins’ structure, it is extremely hard to classify proteins in a single general category. So, as per their structure, proteins are categorized as follows:

Fibrous proteins:
Fibrous Proteins, Keratin
They contain atoms having one or more polypeptide chains as fibrils. They are water insoluble and form tendons, muscle fibers, connective tissues and bone matrix. Secondary structure is of great importance in them. They are water insoluble, non-crystalline and elastic. They form tendons, muscle fibers, connective tissues and bone matrix. Myosin, silk fibers, fibrin, and keratin are examples.

Globular proteins:
Globular Protein, Myoglobin



Globular proteins are ellipsoidal and spherical because of numerous wrinkling of polypeptide chains. Tertiary structure is most essential in them. They are soluble in water and can be crystallized. They adjust themselves with changes in the physical environment. Cases are enzymes, hormones, antibiotics and hemoglobin.

Comparison between Fibrous and Globular Proteins:


Fibrous ProteinsGlobular Proteins
1. Fibrous Proteins are extended proteins and are insoluble in water.
1. Globular Proteins are compact proteins and are soluble in water.

2. They have long thread like structures.
2. They have folded ball like structures.

3. They have comparatively stronger intermolecular forces. 
3. They have weak intermolecular hydrogen bonding.

4. They have helical or sheet like structures.
4. Globular have three dimensional shape.

5. They form structures of body or cells e.g. tendons, ligaments, hairs, etc. 
5. They perform metabolism, transport, immune protection, hormones, etc.

  • Share this post:

Author of This Article,

Muhammad Tayyab.


He is a 18 year old entreprenuer who writes on various topics like SEO, Blogging, Biology and a lot more. Apart from blogging he is also pursuing his career in Medical and Engineering Field. Do Follow him to get in touch.

Follow Him on ↓


Twitter | |

Related Posts

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. My names are Ashley Vivian, Am here to share a testimony on how Dr Raypower helped me. After 1/5 year relationship with my boyfriend, he changed suddenly and stopped contacting me regularly, he would come up with excuses of not seeing me all the time. He stopped answering my calls and my sms and he stopped seeing me regularly. I then started catching him with different girls several times but every time he would say that he love me and that he needed some time to think about our relationship. But cannot stop thinking about him so i decided to go online and i saw so many good talk about this spell caster called Dr Raypower and i contact him and explain my problems to him. He cast a love spell for me which i use and after 24 hours, my boyfriend came back to me and started contacting me regularly and we moved in together after a few months and he was more open to me than before and he started spending more time with me than his friends. We eventually got married and we now have been married happily for 3 years with a son. Ever since Dr Raypower helped me, my partner is very stable, faithful and closer to me than before.You can also contact this spell caster and get your relationship fix Email: Urgentspellcast@gmail.com or Urgentspellcast@yahoo.com see more reviews about him on his website: http://urgentspellcast.website2.me Call or WhatsApp: +1 (424) 330-8109 also view his blog: https://urgentpowerfullovespell.blogspot.com/

      Delete

    2. I want to give a big thanks to a great spell caster commonly known as DR TAKUTA for the great spiritual prayers he did in my life by bringing my ex-lover back to me after many months of breakup and loneliness. With this, I am convinced that you are sent to this word to rescue people from heartbreaks and also to help us get the solution to every relationship problem. for those of you out there who have one relationship problem or the other why not contact DR TAKUTA. that is the best place you can solve all your problems, including a lack of jobs and promotions, binding and marriage spells, divorce and attraction spells, anxiety and depression problems, good luck and lotto spells, fertility, and pregnancy spells, and also the business success and customer increase, winning court cases and many more. contact him at takutaspellalter@gmail.com or contact mobile contact +2348158676990

      Delete
    3. A GREAT SPELL CASTER (DR. EMU) THAT HELP ME BRING BACK MY EX GIRLFRIEND.
      Am so happy to testify about a great spell caster that helped me when all hope was lost for me to unite with my ex-girlfriend that I love so much. I had a girlfriend that love me so much but something terrible happen to our relationship one afternoon when her friend that was always trying to get to me was trying to force me to make love to her just because she was been jealous of her friend that i was dating and on the scene my girlfriend just walk in and she thought we had something special doing together, i tried to explain things to her that her friend always do this whenever she is not with me and i always refuse her but i never told her because i did not want the both of them to be enemies to each other but she never believed me. She broke up with me and I tried times without numbers to make her believe me but she never believed me until one day i heard about the DR. EMU and I emailed him and he replied to me so kindly and helped me get back my lovely relationship that was already gone for two months.
      Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com
      Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

      Delete
  2. thanks for comparison between fibrous and globular proteins.

    ReplyDelete
  3. where is myoglobin in body?

    ReplyDelete
  4. a red protein containing haem, which carries and stores oxygen in muscle cells. It is structurally similar to a subunit of haemoglobin.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely explained

    ReplyDelete
  6. With the c dna libraries, we can finish the protein expression genetic engineering technology.

    ReplyDelete
  7. All organisms are related discuss

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you to sharing very important information to us. You can also visit my website. Body Shaping in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you still Struggle with Cold Sores, unexpected Outbreak and Herpes Virus? then you don't have to keep waiting for treatment when the is a herbal medicine that cure this virus. I was searching online for Herbal Cure for Herpes Virus when I saw a testimony online about Dr. Akintunde and how he cured a lady of HSV1 with his.
    natural herbal medicine and tested Negative and in less than a month she was cured of this virus. So it took me time to believe that this was true, because my family Doctor tried all his best to get rid of this virus in my body system but yet no cure and I suffered from outbreak and Cold Sores always. I had to contact Dr. Akintunde after I have access his website and i had faith in God that I was going to be fine and free of this virus one day. Finally I contacted Dr. Akintunde on his WhatsApp number that I saw on the testimony post online, and after our conversation the Doctor only promise me that I was going to be cured and free of this virus after taking his natural herbal medicine because I was tired of my situation with this virus it was so distracting to my life and whole family. Later Dr. Akintunde send some Herbal medicine to me through UPS courier service, with instructions on how to used this medicine, to my biggest surprise first week of taking my herbal medication I saw great improvement and I still think that it's a dream but this is real, I now test Negative of this virus today and my blood pressure well regulated now, my family doctor after my test was extremely surprise to see my test result change to HSV1 Negative and no more symptoms, cold sores, sores throat and outbreak again. I wish to tell everyone about this, mostly if you have this virus then do yourself good to contact Dr. Akintunde and see what the Lord can do through this Herbal Doctor's medicine in less than a month. 100% free from herpes Virus. I and my family say "thank you" Sir, for helping my life. You are a blessing to this generation and God will reward you richly

    Email: drakintundehomecare@gmail.com

    WhatsApp number: +234 703 524 5593

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing Post really appreciative cover more and more helpful topics that's help us to getting more information from your blog Thank You!

    ReplyDelete








  11. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his emai: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346
















    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his emai: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  12. Greetings to every one that is reading this testimony. I have been rejected by my wife after three (3) years of marriage just because another Man had a spell on her and she left me and the kid to suffer. one day when i was reading through the web, i saw a post on how this spell caster Dr Azuka have help a man to get back her wife and i gave him a reply to his email (dr.azukasolutionhome@gmail.com) and he told me that a man had a spell on my wife and he told me that he will help me and after 24 hours  that i will have my wife back. i believed him and today i am glad to let you all know that this spell caster have the power to bring lovers back. because i am now happy with my wife. Thanks for helping me Dr Azuka..or add him up on whats-app +44 7520 636249

    ReplyDelete
  13. very interesting post.this is my first time visit here.i found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially its discussion..thanks for the post! anavar steroids

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like viewing web sites which comprehend the price of delivering the excellent useful resource free of charge. I truly adored reading your posting. Thank you! roid stop

    ReplyDelete
  15. Am Laura Mildred by name, i was diagnosed with Herpes 4 years ago i lived in pain with the knowledge that i wasn't going to ever be well again i contacted so many herbal doctors on this issue and wasted a large sum of money but my condition never got better i was determined to get my life back so one day i saw Mr. Morrison Hansen post on how Dr. Emu saved him from Herpes with herbal medicine i contacted Dr. Emu on his Email: Emutemple@gmail.com we spoke on the issue i told him all that i went through and he told me not to worry that everything will be fine again so he prepared the medicine and send it to me and told me how to use it, after 14 days of usage I went to see the doctor for test,then the result was negative, am the happiest woman on earth now thanks to Dr. Emu God bless you. Email him at: Emutemple@gmail.com Call or Whats-app him: +2347012841542

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do not think I would have ever stop wiping if not for Dr Osasu When my lover left me the hole world was like hell I could not cope with it neither can I breathe like i real human. But all the-same I thank God for using Dr Osasu to restore my lose love and making the rest of my life full of joy and happiness by bringing back my ex lover back to me with his powerful spell. All praise and honor be onto you. if not for you Dr Osasu I don't thing the rest of life would have been sweet, so all I will have to do now is to introduce you to people out there who are in similar problem or another to contact you and get there solution just like me.

    Here are his details
    (drosasu25@gmail.com) or call him : +2347064365391

    ReplyDelete
  17. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I panicked when I saw the first sore. The medicines couldn't heal the sores completely, my whole life I was entirely desperate. Till I found the natural permanent cure for herpes through Nze Njoku Herbal Home, I felt like I was born-again. You can get rid of herpes from now on, too
    Reach Nze Njoku Herbal Home on
    nzenjokuherbalhome@gmail.com
    +2349072733661

    ReplyDelete

back to top
Real Time Analytics