.

Wednesday 21 October 2015

How It Was Proved That Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) Is The Heredity Material

13:18 - 16 comments

Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA)

Deoxyribonucleic acid is a molecule that carries most of the genetic instructions used in the development, functioning and reproduction of all known living organisms and many viruses.

DNA as Hereditary Material

Work of Griffith: The first evidence of hereditary nature of DNA was provided by a British microbiologist Frederick Griffith who made some unexpected observations while experimenting with pathogenic bacteria. His observations are:

  • When he injected mice with a virulent strain of Streptococus pneumoniae bacteria (then known as Pneumococcus), the mice died of blood poisoning.
  • When he injected similar mice with a mutant strain of S. pneumoniae that lacked the virulent polysaccharide coat, the mice showed no ill effects. This shows that coat was apparently necessary for virulence.

S forms: The normal pathogenic form of this bacterium is referred to as the S form because it forms smooth colonies on a culture disk.

R forms: The mutant forms, which lack an enzyme needed to manufacture the polysaccharide coat, is called the R form because it forms rough colonies.

Decisive Experiment

Griffith Experiment of Transformation
Purpose of Experiment: To determine whether the polysaccharide coat that lacked in mice which showed no ill effect, had a toxic effect.

Actual Experiment: Griffith injected heat killed dead bacteria of the virulent S strain into the mice, the mice remained perfectly healthy.

Control Experiment: As a control experiment (a test where the person conducting the test only changes one variable at a time in order to isolate the results. An experiment where all subjects involved in the experiment are treated exactly the same except for one deviation is an example of a control experiment.), he injected mice with a mixture containing dead S bacteria of the virulent strain and live coatless R bacteria, each of which by itself did not harm the mice.

Result: Unexpectedly, the mice developed the disease symptoms and many of them died.

Further Observations: The blood of the dead mice was found to contain high levels of live, virulent streptococcus type S bacteria, which had surface proteins characteristic of the live (previously R) strain. Somehow, the information specifying the polysaccharide coat had passed from the dead, virulent S bacteria to the live, coatless R bacteria in the mixture, transforming permanently the coatless R bacteria into the virulent S variety.

Transformation: Transformation is the transfer of genetic material from one cell to another and can alter the genetic makeup of the recipient cell.

Work of Avery, Macleod AND McCarty

Determining that DNA is Heredity Material

Transforming Principle

In 1944, in a classic series of experiments Oswald Avery along with Colin Macleod and Maclyn McCarty repeated Griffith's experiments and characterized what they referred to as the transforming principle. They first prepared mixture of dead S Streptococcus and live R Streptococcus that Griffith had used. Then they removed as much of the protein as they could from their preparation, eventually achieving 99.98% purity. Despite removal of nearly all the protein, the transforming activity was not reduced. Moreover the properties of transforming principle resembled there of DNA. The protein digesting enzymes or RNA digesting enzymes did not affect the transforming activity, but the DNA digesting enzyme DNase destroyed all the transforming activity.

Hershey and Chase Experiment

Hershey and Chase Experiment To Determine DNA is Heredity Material
In 1952 by Alfred Hershey and Martha Chase experimented with bacteriophages T2 and provided additional evidence supporting Avery's conclusion.

32P Labeled Viruses: In some experiments they labeled viruses with radio (radioactive) isotope 32P, which was incorporated into the newly synthesized DNA of growing phage.

35S Labeled Viruses: In other experiments the viruses were grown on a medium containing 35S an isotope (radioactive) of sulphur which is incorporated into the amino acids of newly synthesized protein coats.

Exposure of Bacteria to Labeled Viruses: Now one bacterial culture was exposed to 32P labeled viruses and other culture was exposed to 35S labeled viruses.

Removal of Protein Coats: The bacterial cells were agitated violently in a blender to remove the protein coats of the infecting viruses from the surfaces of the bacteria.

Test for the Presence of Label: When bacteria were tested for the presence of label it was found that bacteria had lost nearly all of 35S label. However, 32P label was present in bacteria of the other group.

Reason: It is because 35S was only present in protein coat while 32P was present in DNA that had transferred to the interior of the bacteria.

Confirmation: It was confirmed when viruses were released from the infected bacteria. The viruses released from 32P culture were labeled while viruses released from 35S culture were unlabelled.

DNA — the Hereditary Material

Thus it was proved that the hereditary information injected into the bacteria that specified the new generation of viruses was DNA and not protein. 

  • Share this post:

Author of This Article,

Muhammad Tayyab.


He is a 18 year old entreprenuer who writes on various topics like SEO, Blogging, Biology and a lot more. Apart from blogging he is also pursuing his career in Medical and Engineering Field. Do Follow him to get in touch.

Follow Him on ↓


Twitter | |

Related Posts

16 comments:

  1. It helped me completing my assignment. ..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. I want to give a big thanks to a great spell caster commonly known as DR TAKUTA for the great spiritual prayers he did in my life by bringing my ex-lover back to me after many months of breakup and loneliness. With this, I am convinced that you are sent to this word to rescue people from heartbreaks and also to help us get the solution to every relationship problem. for those of you out there who have one relationship problem or the other why not contact DR TAKUTA. that is the best place you can solve all your problems, including a lack of jobs and promotions, binding and marriage spells, divorce and attraction spells, anxiety and depression problems, good luck and lotto spells, fertility, and pregnancy spells, and also the business success and customer increase, winning court cases and many more. contact him at takutaspellalter@gmail.com or contact mobile contact +2348158676990

      Delete

    2. Really Work Fast,******************

      Fast and reliable solution for Herpes Cure

      I was cured from Herpes with herbal med..

      Contact him for Relationship/marital problem,

      He will give you the best..

      Thanks to [[[robinsonbucler@gmail com]]]

      Delete
  2. Indeed this post is very helpful for medical students just because they can use this information in their thesis making projects. By having https://www.annotatedbibliographymaker.com/we-can-write-you-annotated-bibliography-in-apa-style/ they learn many things from experts so good efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting post. This blog has added useful information in my mind and i cn relate it with my thesis. Being a medical student i visit differnet sites and click to read some useful blogs so this is one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having MBA degree is the best part of my life. It has completely changed my life and When i was a student. i faced many problem while writing MBA personal statement. and this site http://www.mbapersonalstatement.org/how-to-write-a-low-gmat-score-waiver-letter/ provide many chances to make our personal statement effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes i also get benefited with this post doe my thesis work. I always prepare my assignment work through such blogs https://www.capstonepaper.net/best-ideas-for-business-capstone-projects and it can help all students in best way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This medical terms are very understandable so i love the ideas here that can be helpful in all way. I genuinely suggest students to read this kinda post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm P Daddy Sean from United State Of America,

    -Share to all HEART DISEASE patient in the world i never believed that their could be any complete cure for HEART DISEASE or any cure for CANCER saw people’s testimony on blog sites of how DR SOSO prepare herbal cure and brought them back to life again. i had to try it too and you can,t believe that in just few weeks i started using it all my body stop gradually and i had to leave without the HEART DISEASE DRUGS the doctor gave to me. Right now i can tell you that few months now i have not had any pain, delay in treatment leads to death. Here is his email:drsoso24@gmail.com his on WHATSAPP number is +2349014586846 he also special on cureing 1. HIV/AIDS 2. HERPES 3. CANCER 4. ALS 5. HEPATITIS B 6. DIABETES 7. HUMAN PAPILOMA VIRUS DISEASE(HPV) 8. ALZHEIMER 9. LUPUS (Lupus Vulgaris or Lupus Erythematosus) Contact him and get the best product.....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you still Struggle with Cold Sores, unexpected Outbreak and Herpes Virus? then you don't have to keep waiting for treatment when the is a herbal medicine that cure this virus. I was searching online for Herbal Cure for Herpes Virus when I saw a testimony online about Dr. Akintunde and how he cured a lady of HSV1 with his.
    natural herbal medicine and tested Negative and in less than a month she was cured of this virus. So it took me time to believe that this was true, because my family Doctor tried all his best to get rid of this virus in my body system but yet no cure and I suffered from outbreak and Cold Sores always. I had to contact Dr. Akintunde after I have access his website and i had faith in God that I was going to be fine and free of this virus one day. Finally I contacted Dr. Akintunde on his WhatsApp number that I saw on the testimony post online, and after our conversation the Doctor only promise me that I was going to be cured and free of this virus after taking his natural herbal medicine because I was tired of my situation with this virus it was so distracting to my life and whole family. Later Dr. Akintunde send some Herbal medicine to me through UPS courier service, with instructions on how to used this medicine, to my biggest surprise first week of taking my herbal medication I saw great improvement and I still think that it's a dream but this is real, I now test Negative of this virus today and my blood pressure well regulated now, my family doctor after my test was extremely surprise to see my test result change to HSV1 Negative and no more symptoms, cold sores, sores throat and outbreak again. I wish to tell everyone about this, mostly if you have this virus then do yourself good to contact Dr. Akintunde and see what the Lord can do through this Herbal Doctor's medicine in less than a month. 100% free from herpes Virus. I and my family say "thank you" Sir, for helping my life. You are a blessing to this generation and God will reward you richly

    Email: drakintundehomecare@gmail.com

    WhatsApp number: +234 703 524 5593

    ReplyDelete








  9. i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his emai: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346
















    i couldn't believe that i would ever be re-unite with my ex-lover, i was so traumatize staying all alone with no body to stay by me and to be with me, but i was so lucky one certain day to meet this powerful spell caster Dr Akhere,after telling him about my situation he did everything humanly possible to see that my lover come back to me,indeed after casting the spell my ex-lover came back to me less than 48 hours,my ex-lover came back begging me that he will never leave me again,3 months later we got engaged and married,if you are having this same situation just contact Dr Akhere on his email: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com thanks very much sir for restoring my ex-lover back to me,his emai: AKHERETEMPLE@gmail.com or call/whatsapp:+2349057261346

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am here to give my testimony about Dr Ebhota who helped me.. i want to inform the public how i was cured from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by salami, i visited different hospital but they gave me list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which is very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedy on HERPES and i saw comment of people talking about how Dr Ehbota cured them. when i contacted him he gave me hope and send a Herbal medicine to me that i took for just 2 weeks and it seriously worked for me, my HERPES result came out negative. I am so happy as i am sharing this testimony. My advice to you all who thinks that there is no cure for herpes that is Not true just contact him and get cure from Dr Ebhota healing herbal cure of all kinds of sickness you may have like
    (1) CANCER,
    (2) DIABETES,
    (3) HIV&AIDS,
    (4) URINARY TRACT INFECTION,
    (5) CANCER,
    (6) IMPOTENCE,
    (7) BARENESS/INFERTILITY
    (8) DIARRHEA
    (9) ASTHMA
    (10)SIMPLEX HERPES AND GENITAL
    (11)COLD SORE
    HERPES. he also cure my friend from cervical cancer Email: drebhotasoultion@gmail.com or whatsapp him on +2348089535482

    ReplyDelete
  11. This medical terms are very understandable so i love the ideas here that can be helpful in all way. I genuinely suggest students to read this kind a post. You made this beneficial with your skill and knowledge. We offer full-service of online personal therapy & counselling for a metal health issues includes trauma, stress, anger & relationship management. Get online session now!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I started on COPD Herbal treatment from Ultimate Health Home, the treatment worked incredibly for my lungs condition. I used the herbal treatment for almost 4 months, it reversed my COPD. My severe shortness of breath, dry cough, chest tightness gradually disappeared. Reach Ultimate Health Home via their website at www.ultimatelifeclinic.com I can breath much better and It feels comfortable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. DO YOU NEED A PERSONAL/BUSINESS/INVESTMENT LOAN? CONTACT US TODAY VIA WhatsApp +19292227023 Email drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com

    HELLO
    Loan Offer Alert For Everyone! Are you financially down and you need an urgent credit/financial assistance? Or are you in need of a loan to start-up/increase your business or buy your dream house. Are you in search of a legit loan? Tired of Seeking Loans and Mortgages? Have you been turned down by your banks? Have you also been scammed once? Have you lost money to scammers or to Binary Options and Cryptocurrency Trading, We will help you recover your lost money and stolen bitcoin by our security FinanceRecovery Team 100% secured, If you are in financial pains consider your financial trauma over. We Offer LOANS from $3,000.00 Min. to $30,000,000.00 Max. at 2% interest rate NO MATTER YOUR CREDIT SCORE. GET YOUR INSTANT LOAN APPROVAL 100% GUARANTEED TODAY VIA WhatsApp:+19292227023 Email: drbenjaminfinance@gmail.com


    ReplyDelete
  14. MBC2030 live is a game that can be played online. Many people have begun to play the game since it helps to clear their brains.

    ReplyDelete

back to top
Real Time Analytics